Sunday, February 21, 2010

Where do you draw the line?

This week, I've realized that taking pictures is an interesting process.  Usually the point pictures is to remember you wonderful experiences.  However, when trying hard to take a "perfect picture" it becomes easy to focus on picture taking and not living.  This has been a challenge for me to balance as we've had our new experiences over the past week.  Here are some of my best shots (and what I was trying to do!).



This is pretty self-explanatory, a close up on the face of a cow.


Our entertainer for our asado (kind of like Argentine barbecue) in the country while laughing at his father's descriptions of what they were going to sing next. 


The countryside we spent the day in.  I LOVED the tree on the left hand side.


A close up on one of the farmer's (gauchos they are called) as he milked a cow.  I left the cow out, because I was trying to take a "tight" picture as described in the video.


A picture of the distant mountains, vegetation, and farm tools all through an off-centered door. Originally I was trying to use the rule of thirds, but it's a little off.  I still liked how the picture turned out.


I love how the light sets of the Virgin Maria in this picture in a Jesuit Cathedral in downtown Cordoba.



A slightly off-center close up of one note out of thousands that were taped to the walls in a local student hang out.  When translated, this quote basically says "Don't focus completely on the road you are traveling down or that will be all you find."

I tried to keep the rules in the back of my mind this week, but to not be a slave to them.  Everyone's eyes see things differently (that's what makes photography an art and not a science or something regimented!) and mine are no exception.  I hope that others can appreciate these pictures as much as I do.





2 comments:

  1. The "through the door" shot was a great "find" - allowed interesting use of lighting/shadow, foreground/background, etc! I love to find shots like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 2 cow pictures! I think animals in general make great pictures. All of your photos have great personality!

    ReplyDelete