Saturday, January 23, 2010

Finding Family Worldwide

When living in another place, finding a family of sorts has been my comfort and the easiest way for me to become culturally literate.  Even in my "real" home, my family was my main source of cultural development and knowledge.  They taught me English, manners, and every other little thing that helped me to fit into the world around me.  


When I left Maryville and moved to Clemson, my new group of friends were the ones who taught me how the world of college works.  They helped me survive classes, learn the "lingo" of campus, and social foux pas.  They became my new family who helped me navigate the new world I found myself in.


Living in Mexico was another experience that brought the need for another family to help me learn the ways of the world in which I was to spend the next few months.  They introduced me to new foods, attitudes, and means of transportation (never before had it been normal for fifteen people to ride in the back of a truck!).  This family helped to keep me safe and successful by avoiding the creation of too many waves within the culture.


In short, family has been the major means of developing cultural literacy for me.  As I go to Argentina, my new host family will hopefully also be a vessel of education into the workings of the new situation I'll find myself in.  It has always been a great comfort for me to have a family around--even if not of the traditional sort.  They help you to fit into the world, as well as provide the necessary support as you learn and transition.  The added bonus of families around the world is always having somewhere to stay when you travel :) 

1 comment:

  1. Your host family should be a fecund field for investigating how culture tells its story through strands of ethnos, muthos, nomos, etc...

    ReplyDelete